Temple of the Olympian Zeus
The temple of Olympian Zeus was the biggest temple in Greece during the Hellenic and Roman years. Its construction began during the 6th century BC and ended during the 2nd century AC. According to Aristotle the construction of the temple began by the tyrant Peisistratos as a tactic to restrain people from protesting (rebel) by keeping them busy.
Originally it included 104 Corinthian style columns. These columns surrounded a cella (inner chamber) in which two large statues were placed: one chryselephantine statue of Zeus and a statue of Emperor Hadrian. Each of the column was 17 meters high, 2,6 meters wide and weigh 364 tons.
Today only 15 columns remain standing and one lies on the ground as it fell down during a storm in 1852.There are no remains of the cella or the statues contained in Olympian Zeus Temple.